Did you know more pets run away or get lost on 4th of July than any other day?
That’s right, our cranky cats just don’t give a crap about our National Independence and our pet pups rather not celebrate with powder filled explosives and bright bangs. I know, we don’t get it either!!
If your dogs are anything like mine, they will likely be hiding under your bed or remain somewhat attached to your leg like an extra appendage during the festivities. Even so, there are a few things we can do to keep our pets as comfortable and safe as possible during the Prickly Pear Fireworks show:
- Let them stay inside when you or your neighbors are setting off fireworks.
- Keep your doors and windows closed. We all know that our pet’s hearing is far more sensitive than ours and keeping everything closed up will help keep out some of the noise. Closing your doors and windows will also keep your pets from running off if they get scared.
- Provide them a comfortable space. Mine typically hide under my bed when the kids are on the loose. I don’t blame them. If I fit, I would probably be hiding under there too!
- Move their beds, food, and water to the place where they feel most comfortable. If they have a favorite toy or lovey, make sure they have it with them in their space.
- A new juicy bone or catnip toy might help keep them distracted if they are scared.
- Make sure they have updated tags or a microchip with your most current address and phone number.
- Lastly, get them extra love and attention!
If you happen to find a misguided pet after the big show, please do your best to find the owner. The classified pages on Facebook or in the newspaper are the best bet to return lost pets to their owners. If you have tried everything you can to locate the owner and are unsuccessful, please contact the Lewis and Clark Humane Society as people usually check there for their lost pets.
Thanks for helping out ALL of the members of our community!